Useful Resources

National, State, and Local Hotline Information

There are numerous resources and support accessible for those that have concerns about Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Drug and Alcohol Problems, Mental Health Issues, etc. A listing of national, state, and local hotline numbers is available by clicking here.


Crime prevention and safety awareness programs are offered at South Georgia State College in an attempt to reduce campus crime. Prevention programs are aimed at minimizing criminal opportunities and encouraging students to be responsible for their own security.  A complete listing of programs can be accessed by clicking the Annual Security Report link on our webpage.


Available Services

Accessing Services:
Douglas Campus:  912.384.7675                                                   Waycross Campus:  912.449.7530

Safety Escort Service:
SGSC provides safety escorts to the campus community.  SGSC personnel will walk you from your building to your car, or anywhere else on campus. This service available 24 hours a day. On the Douglas Campus, call 912.384.7675.  For escort on Waycross campus contact any faculty or staff member.

Closed-Circuit Surveillance:
Strategically placed camera equipment is used to survey many parking lots and public areas on campus. The signals provided by these cameras can be routinely monitored and recorded at the Campus Police Department..

Crime Reporting:
SGSC makes diligent efforts to advise members of the campus community about crime and crime-related problems. The college's duty to inform is taken very seriously - as a result, information related to crime and criminal activity is provided in an accurate and timely fashion. Notification efforts and methods include:
• ANNUAL REPORT: A comprehensive annual report of crime-related information is compiled, published, and distributed.
• SPECIAL ALERTS: If circumstances warrant, special alerts are prepared and distributed.  Methods of distribution include email, text messaging, the media, phone calls, etc.

SGSC offers jumpstart for disabled vehicles.  When calling, be sure to give your location and vehicle description.  SGSC assumes no liability for damages.

Medical Transports:
The Douglas Campus provides transportation to CRMC or the Walk-In clinic in a case of emergency. Transport to the emergency room is provided only when emergency care is needed, and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Both campuses utilize EMS services as needed.

Parking Decals:
Faculty, staff, and residential students must register their vehicles in order to park on campus. Employees may obtain a decal from the Human Resources Office.  Residential students may obtain their decals by presenting a Drivers License or Student ID and completing a Vehicle Registration Form.  This information should be presented to the security office on duty in the Residence Hall during the first week of class.

Lost and Found:
SGSC provides a lost and found area for the campus community.  If you discover that you have lost property or to claim missing items, contact the Campus Police Department on the Douglas Campus and the Cashier’s Office on the Waycross Campus.  It takes only a minute to complete the required paperwork.

Lost and Found

To report lost or stolen valuables, come by the Police Department at Tiger Village I or call 912.384.7675 on the Douglas Campus.  In Waycross, contact the Cashiers Office to see if the item has been turned in.  If not, call for law enforcement assistance so that a police officer can make a lost property report.  We will need any identifying features like name brand, serial number, color, distinguishing marks, etc. Please bring any photos of the item that you may have. The more identifiers, the better the possibility of returning the property if located.

If you know the general area where you lost the property, such as in a classroom or cafeteria, don't forget to contact the person responsible for that area and ask if your property has been turned into them. These locations will often hold lost/found property for a period of time in hopes that the owner will return or call. By the end of the day, all lost or found property should be submitted to Campus Police.
If you find someone else's lost property, please report it promptly to Campus Police. An officer will secure the property, try to identify the owner and return the property to them. The Campus Police Department maintains all property that is turned in.

Found property can be delivered to the Campus Police Department which is located in Tiger Village I. If you are on campus, call 912.260.4401 or 912.384.7675 and an officer will respond to your location and take custody of the property. In either case, Campus Police will make efforts to identify the legal owner of the property and contact them so they can pick it up.

Return of Property
The SGSC Police Department receives a variety of items turned in as found property. We make every effort to identify the owner of the property and to return the property to them. Please note that we will only contact you in the event we believe we are in possession of your lost property.

Unclaimed Property
The Police Department will dispose of any unclaimed property according to policy.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Are SGSC PD officers "real" police officers?
Yes, all police officers are certified in accordance with the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council rules and regulations. They have the same arrest power as the city, county and state law enforcement officers.

2. What measures can I take to increase my security on campus?
• Attend safety orientations and read safety handbooks.
• Call 911 for emergencies.  In nonemergency situations, call 912.384.7675.
• Report all crimes or suspicious incidents.
• Walk in pairs or call for an escort especially at night.
• Always be aware of your surroundings.
• Do not leave vehicle or residence hall doors unlocked at any time.
• Keep residence hall keys and access cards safe. If keys and cards are lost, notify your Hall Director ASAP.
• Cooperate with law enforcement and security personnel.

3. Does SGSC PD provide an escort to students at night?
Yes, our service is in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, rain or shine. If you are concerned for your safety while going from point A to point B on campus, call 912.384.7675 to request an officer on the Douglas Campus and you will be provided with an escort.  If on the Waycross Campus, call 912.449.7530.

4. What should I do if I see something suspicious on campus?
The first thing to do is ensure your own safety. If on the Douglas Campus, contact the nonemergency number at 912.384.7675. If on the Waycross Campus, see any staff or faculty member. State what the problem is and the location of the incident.  Give as much information as possible about the people involved (e.g., how many are involved and a description of what they are wearing).  Call 911 if an emergency.

Also, we have an online reporting system for issues that are not emergencies.  Click here to report suspicious activity.

5. How far out from the campus does your jurisdiction extend?
Our jurisdiction extends 500 yards in every direction from any property under the jurisdiction of the Board of Regents.

6. What are the business hours of the Campus Police?
SGSC police and security are responsible for patrolling the campus and responding to requests for service 24 hours a day, 365 days year on the Douglas Campus.

Law enforcement services are provided by the Waycross Police Department on the Waycross Campus.  Non-emergency services on the Waycross Campus can be obtained by calling 912.449.7530.

7. I am at the Campus Police Department and I can't access the building/no one is there.  What should I do?
The department does not have office staff so there will be regular occasions when no one is in the office.  Please call 912.260.4401.  If there is no answer, call the nonemergency number at 911 912.384.7675.

8.  Can I consume alcohol on campus if I am of age?
No, South Georgia State College is a dry campus.   No alcohol is allowed even by those of age.   Under age consumption/possession of alcohol is a zero tolerance offense at SGSC.

9. What happens if I get in trouble off campus?
Students are required to engage in responsible social conduct that reflects positively upon the college community.  Modeling good citizenship is expected. So yes, you can be written up on campus for infractions and violations of the law.

10.  I’ve locked my keys in my vehicle.  Will you unlock it for me?  What about if I need a jump start?
SGSC does not unlock vehicles for liability reasons.  Check with a local locksmith who will respond in a reasonable amount of time.

If you are in need of a jump start, please call campus police on the Douglas Campus or Physical Plant on the Waycross Campus.