Nelnet is a third party vendor who administers a short-term payment plan for students, making college tuition more affordable. Enrollment is open until the last day of Drop/Add each semester; however, to get the best payment option of lower enrollment fees and lower monthly payments, a student should register as early as possible.
Continue to NelNet
Frequently Asked Questions About NelNet
What is the cost to participate in the Nelnet Payment Plan?
- Depending on the date by which the student enrolls, the enrollment fee ranges from $50 to $70.
What other amount does a student have to pay up front?
- Depending on the date by which a student enrolls, the down payment ranges from 0% to 50% of the requested payment amount.
Does a student have to pass a credit check?
- Students are not required to pass a credit check; however, a student must provide Nelnet with payment information from an active financial institution, banking account or credit card, from which monthly payments will be drafted (service fees apply to Debit/Credit Card transactions). A $30 nonrefundable returned payment fee will be charged for each payment not honored by the student's payment method.
What is the maximum amount a student can budget through Nelnet?
- A limit of $5,500 per semester applies.
When does the Enrollment Period begin for each semester?
- Enrollment usually opens approximately 4 to 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester.
How late is the Enrollment Period open?
- Enrollment is open until the last day of Drop/Add each semester; however, to get the best payment option of lower enrollment fees and lower monthly payments, a student should register as early as possible.
More information about NelNet can be found here.