Life at SGSC
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Residence Hall Policies and Code of Conduct?
- Please see the Residence Hall Handbook and Student Handbook for a detailed list.
Do the Residence Halls have curfews?
- No. We believe that students are responsible for their own actions which include the determination of a bedtime.
I'm a freshman. Do I have to live on Campus?
Yes, unless you meet one or more of the criteria as listed on the SGSC website and have completed an exemption form, provided the needed documentation and been approved for an .
Who is in charge of the building if my student needs assistance with a concern/problem?
- The first resource for resolving a concern is your student’s Resident Assistant. Many times, they have addressed similar concerns with other students and may be able to help. If not, please feel free to contact the Residence Life Specialist of your student building: Residence Life Specialist.
Is the residence hall a noisy environment?
- We understand that the primary reason students attend South Georgia State College is to succeed in college and ultimately receive a degree. We strive to create a quiet and respectful environment that is conducive to study. During the day, a courtesy hours policy will be in effect so that a respectful amount of noise can be generated. During the evening and night time, a quiet hours policy will be in effect. We also encourage residents in her/his suite to take responsibility to address noise violations.
What if my student and his/her suitemate(s) don't get along?
- There is always an adjustment to living with new people. It is important to emphasize to your student that she/he has open and honest communication with her/his suitemates. The Resident Assistants are trained to assist with conflict mediation between suitemates.
Should my student purchase renter’s insurance?
- While it is not required for your student to have renter’s insurance, we strongly recommend it.
Are alcoholic beverages allowed?
- No. South Georgia State College complies with all of the requirements of the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, as amended.
Who is responsible for cleaning the rooms & bathroom?
- Each room will be cleaned prior to a student’s arrival. However, students are required to maintain a certain level of cleanliness as to not attract rodents or bugs. It is the student’s responsibility to keep their bathroom and bedroom clean while occupying it. Housekeeping will maintain common area space only.
How many hours do I have to be enrolled in to reside in on-campus housing?
- 12 or more credit hours
What is the housing application deadline?
- After you have applied for admission to the College, then you can submit a housing application. There is no deadline but you will want to submit your application and pay your housing application fee as early as possible to secure your spot in on-campus housing. Rooms are assigned only after you have paid your housing application fee and been fully admitted to the College.
Am I required to have a meal plan?
- Yes. There is only meal plan option and that is a plan for 19 meals per week (three meals a day Monday – Friday and lunch and dinner only on Saturday and Sunday).
How much is housing?
- Housing application fee (non-refundable) $125 (covers fall & spring), room $2,525 per semester, programming fee $20 per semester, health fee $35 per semester. WiFi, cable TV service and $25 in laundry funds per semester are included at no extra cost when you live on campus at SGSC.
How much is the meal plan?
- $1,755 per semester.