Life at SGSC
Freshman Year Residency Requirement
Freshman Residency Requirement
In recognition of the influence that living within the residence halls can have on a freshman student, South Georgia State College requires that all freshmen students live on campus. This decision is based impart by national research and first hand experiences regarding the personal and academic developments of freshmen students whom live within the residence halls.
In support of a student’s holistic development, several wings of Tiger Village I & II have been set aside to facilitate personal and academic growth. We have found that freshmen have different priorities and concerns than upperclassmen. By merging all freshmen together, we can better serve the freshmen population with activities, living communities, and other developmental programs designed specifically for them. Tiger Village I & II feature private bedrooms with semi-private bathrooms.
South Georgia State College considers a freshman as a person whom is about to attend college for the first time or is currently in their first year of college. Advanced Placement credits are not accounted for in determining year classification.
If a student wishes to reside off-campus, then one of the following criteria must be met:
- 21 years of age by the 1st day of the fall semester
- Married (must attach a copy of the marriage license)
- Caring for a dependent child (must attach a copy of the birth certificate)
- Veteran with at least a year of active service (must attach a copy of discharge documents)
- 30 or more earned credit hours (not including advanced placement)
- Dual Enrollment
- Enrolled in less than 11 credit hours
- Medical conditions for which the College cannot achieve reasonable accommodations (condition must be on file with the Office of Student Disability)
- Waiver based on extreme hardship (case by case decision)
- Claims residency in the following counties: Atkinson, Bacon, Ben Hill, Berrien, Coffee, Irwin, Jeff Davis, Telfair, or Ware (must attach a copy of your driver’s license)