Students who have been classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes and believe they are eligible for a waiver should review the waivers available and identify which waiver may apply. All completed waivers submitted to the Registrar's Office will be reviewed and the student will be notified if he/she qualifies. Click on the name of the waiver to access the form:
Active Duty Military Personnel and Their Dependents: Active duty military personnel, their spouses, and their dependent children who meet one of the following may apply for this waiver:
- The military sponsor is currently stationed in or assigned to Georgia;
- The military sponsor previously stationed in or assigned to Georgia is reassigned outside of Georgia, and the student or students remain continuously enrolled in a Georgia high school, TCSG institution, or a USG institution;
- The military sponsor is reassigned outside of Georgia and the spouse and dependent children remain in Georgia;
- The military sponsor is stationed in a state contiguous to the Georgia border and resides in Georgia;
- Dependent children of a military sponsor previously stationed in or assigned to Georgia within the previous five years;
- Dependent children of a military sponsor if the child completed at least one year of high school in Georgia; or,
- Any student utilizing VA educational benefits transferred from a currently serving military member, even if the student is no longer a dependent of the transferor.
Border State Residents: Border State Residents Waivers are available to students domiciled in Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
Economic Advantage: As of the first day of classes for the term, an economic advantage waiver may be granted to a U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident who is a dependent or independent student and can provide clear evidence that the student or the student's parent, spouse, or U.S. court-appointed legal guardian has relocated to the State of Georgia to accept full-time, self-sustaining employment and has established domicile in the State of Georgia. Relocation to the state must be for reasons other than enrolling in an institution of higher education.
Full-Time Employees in the Public Schools of Georgia or the Technical College System of Georgia: Full-time employees in the public schools of Georgia or Technical College System of Georgia, their spouses, and their dependent children may be eligible for this waiver.
Non-Resident Student: As of the first day of classes for the term, a nonresident student can be considered for this waiver under the following conditions:
Students Under 24
Their parent or United States court-appointed legal guardian has maintained domicile in Georgia for at least twelve (12) consecutive months and the student can provide clear and legal evidence showing the relationship to the parent or United States court-appointed legal guardian has existed for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the term. Under Georgia code, legal guardianship must be established prior to the student’s 18th birthday; or The student can provide clear and legal evidence showing a familial relationship to their spouse and the spouse has maintained domicile in Georgia for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the term.
Married Students 24 and Older
The student can provide clear and legal evidence showing a familial relationship to the spouse and the spouse has maintained domicile in Georgia for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the term. This waiver can remain in effect as long as the student remains continuously enrolled.
Recently Separated Military Personnel: Separated military members from a uniformed military service of the United States who meet one of the following may apply for this waiver:
- Individuals who within thirty-six (36) months of separation from such service, enroll in an academic program and demonstrate intent to become domiciled in Georgia. This waiver may also be granted to their spouses and dependent children.
- Any separated service member or any student utilizing transferred VA educational benefits, and physically residing in the state, who enrolls within one hundred-twenty (120) months of separation is also eligible.
- Any individual as described in U.S.C. 3679(c).
All Others: There are other out-of-state waivers for which you may be eligible. Please see the “Out-of-State Tuition Waiver” portion of the Board of Regents Policy Manual for more information. If you feel you are eligible for a waiver that is not listed above, please complete this waiver form and contact the Registrar’s Office to see what documentation is needed for the waiver you are applying for.
Submit all required waivers and supporting documentation to the Registar's Office before the term begins:
South Georgia State College
100 W. College Park Dr.
Douglas, GA 31533
912- 260-4455 (fax)
It is strongly suggested that you keep either an electronic or paper copy of the completed form for your records.
Need Help? Use Hawk Helper to submit a ticket.