News and Updates
South Georgia State College Provides Program for Mental Health Support Services for Students
Posted on Feb 03, 2021
South Georgia State College and the University System of Georgia (USG) have announced a new initiative for students to have access to mental health support services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Governor Brian Kemp announced in August that Georgia will allocate $11.5 million of the Governors Emergency Education Relief (GEER) funding, set aside by the federal CARES Act, to support mental health and student support services within the USG. The money was used by the USG to launch a comprehensive plan to significantly expand student mental health services during the COVID-19 pandemic. These services are provided through a partnership with Christie Campus Health, a 24/7 hotline and well-being support program.
Through the new program at South Georgia State College titled StayWell@SGSC, students can connect to a 24/7/365 mental health support line for in-the-moment support and directions to next steps, regardless of time of day or location.
In addition, the students can access the following resources:
- No cost Telehealth and in-person treatment sessions provided by a diverse network of licensed mental health clinicians.
- Virtual Psychiatric Clinics to offer assessment and medication management.
- Personal Student Navigators to assist with referral coordination and support.
- A self-directed iCBT program designed exclusively for students. ICARE is research-supported, internet-based and mobile-friendly, self-guided cognitive behavioral training (ICBT) developed specifically for college students experiencing depression, anxiety, or both, who do not need psychotherapy.
- “The Wellness Hub” which includes an App and an online wellness magazine with educational content, self-help tools and resource links. Students can access the Wellness Hub or find the link to download the App, at https://sgscwellnesshub.com/.
Students are able to access the resources any time by visiting /life-at-sgsc/stay-well-at-sgsc.